• Learn How to Build a Powerful Personal Brand That Will Differentiate You and Allow You To Compete in the Global Marketplace.
  • How To Brand Yourself When You’re Just Starting Out.

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “How To Brand Yourself When You’re Just Starting Out.”.

Katie works with Fortune 500 companies to help them generate new ideas based on consumer insights at leading innovation company www.IdeasToGo.com. She’s worked with creativity guru Edward de Bono and uncovered new ideas across North America and Europe. Prior to that, she earned a Masters degree in Creativity and Innovation from the Institute for the Design and Development of Thinking in Malta, was certified as a Lateral Thinking trainer, and studied at the TRIZ Institute in St Petersburg, Russia. She writes the leading innovation blog, GetFreshMinds.com.

Tagged with: , , ,
    Posted in Personal Branding
    Promote Yourself Newsletter
    10 Personal Branding Secrets You've Never Heard Before
    13 comments on “How To Brand Yourself When You’re Just Starting Out.
    1. avatar
      Terry Heaton says:

Nice piece, Katie. I would add that establishing a reputation within the comments sections of blogs and sites within your interest area is also a good way to slowly develop your brand. The trick is to only add substance, because we’re hip to those who use the comments merely to position their own sites for SEO. I’ve “noticed” lots of people through comments, those who took the time to craft something meaningful to the discussion. There are others who disagree, but I know this is something I’d do, if I was just starting out. Keep up the great work.

Robbie Hurtado says:

That’s a wonderful response your repertation speaks to your success. Are if your going to be successful.

2. avatar
      EXPERT

Thanks for this useful post. I think it was very thoughtful of you to have considered those just starting out without a very convincing track record. Sharing what you learn about your field is an effective strategy to use. At the least, it gets you the much needed attention to begin building your own track record.

3. avatar
      EXPERT

Katie, would you say that having a passion for your field is more important than having expertise in your fIeld? If you had to choose between the two which do you think would allow you to “move up the ladder” more quickly?

EXPERT

I would say that passion drives a man faster than expertise – Ebenezer Chizom Echehieuka.

I would love to state that a man without passion is like a log of wood without use. You have to love what you do, that is where the passion plays. Expertise? is good, but when you have passion for what you love doing, you become an expert in it without knowing.

4. avatar
      EXPERT

Thank you Katie for this interesting post! I could call myself a “newbie” when it comes to social media and putting myself out there. I am currently taking a course on Management of Brands and actually we are having a “Brand Me” project going on. That’s why I’m really into these tips for personal branding! Keep up with the great work.

5. avatar
      EXPERT

Thank you Katie. I’ve been browsing the internet and reading tons of books on personal branding but none were as informative as your post. I think your comment on connection tools is brilliant. It’s something I will implement while networking for my start up. Thank you again for the great advise

6. avatar
      Terry Heaton says:

Mark, I don’t know about Katie, but I believe passion will carry you when everything else in you says “I give up.” Expertise is certainly important. Perhaps you could use that to build and then shift your brand. Good luck.

7. avatar
      Yadu Karu says:

Wow! very inspiring article! I learned something new by just reading it. Thank you for posting 😉

8. avatar
      Jimmy Bua says:

Very interesting perspective that too many ‘old hands’ forget really quick. This being that we all had to start out at the same humbling place…the beginning. Thanks.

9. avatar
      dorothy says:

Expertise and passion are like experience and qualification.there’s no substitution for experience.I’m in the hospitality industry,started from the bottom as a server,got promoted to supervisor the experience that I have is so broad that when I started doing my diploma in hotel mgmt everything just started falling into place.improve yourself to be marketable!!

10. avatar
      EXPERT

this is an interesting write up,a fresh approach,keep it up Katie

11. avatar
      Elias Yusuf says:

Thanks Katie, I found your blog while looking for how I can brand myself and be a value to others … love the point you mentioned about Share what you found most thought-provoking, or a lesson that you’ll apply to your own life. Thanks again.