Giving is on my mind lately, with the tragedy still unfolding in Haiti. Rob Key, CEO of social media marketing and communications agency Converseon, says you should “lead with altruism” and “come bearing gifts.” He’s referring to the use of social media by businesses, but I think the same rules should be applied when creating and maintaining your personal brand.
1. Share articles and blog posts you believe followers will find interesting and/or helpful
2. Retweet whenever possible
3. Answer followers’ questions if you’re knowledgeable about the subject
4. Give followers advice in your area of expertise
5. Connect followers when you believe it will be beneficial for both parties
6. Add a Twibbon or two to your avatar
7. Add the LinkedIn Answers application to your homepage, and respond with your expertise
8. Join Groups, and take part in discussions and post job opportunities and news items
9. When appropriate, introduce your connections to one another
10. Provide your connections with recommendations, even when you haven’t been asked
18. Remember and recognize birthdays and anniversaries
19. Offer your advice, personal experiences and expertise
20. Pay it forward – share job opportunities, event announcements, discounts, etc.
In what ways do you give to your various audiences?
Heather R. Huhman is a career expert and founder & president of Come Recommended, an exclusive online community connecting the best internship and entry-level job candidates with the best employers. She is also the national entry-level careers columnist for Examiner.com and blogs about career advice at HeatherHuhman.com.