There are a lot of great personal brands out there that are losing the opportunity to build brand equity in their eBrands (internet properties).
For instance, if you write a guest blog post or an article for an online magazine and don’t have a website, you miss the chance to:
- increase the PageRank of your website
- get traffic to your website
- convert web article readers to website readers
- find out whose interested in your services
- build a list through your blog or email newsletter
- sell products and services
- measure the effectiveness and reach of your article
- get other opportunities to write
The list goes on!
When you include your bio in a blog post or article, always include a website. If you haven’t started a blog or traditional website, then link to your LinkedIn profile or Twitter account. If you have no web presence, then start working on this this Thanksgiving weekend. You are at a real loss if you keep marketing your personal brand, without advancing the equity in your eBrand. Links to domains you own are more significant than links to social networking sites because they are in your complete control. When you link to a LinkedIn profile, you are helping LinkedIn, and not as much yourself.
Next time you write your bio, make sure it includes a link to a site you own.