The rise of personal branding has thrown a giant wrench in the norms of how to manage the workforce. Many companies have been caught flat footed and are jumping to the wrong conclusions when it comes to managing the modern employee. Do not let this happen to you or your company.
Here are some questions to ask yourself about managing personal brands in the workforce.
- Do you encourage your employees to build their personal brand?
- Do you create a culture of restriction or freedom?
- Are you helping your employees to succeed?
- Do you understand the business value of social networking?
- When was the last time you initiated a business relationship online?
- Are you a know it all, or are you constantly learning?
- Do you understand how personal branding allows you to gate jump?
- When was the last time you wrote a guest blog post related to your field?
- Do you read blogs related to your field?
- Do you know if you have an employee with a powerful personal brand?
- Have you Googled every one of your employees to see what you find?
- Are you leveraging your employees with powerful personal brands?
- Do you understand the concept of free exposure?
- Do you believe social media and business belong together?
- Are you a visionary or an order taker?
- Does your organization understand how blogging WILL create exposure?
- Do you understand that conversations are happening online everyday already?
- Are you more interested in maintaining the status quo?
- Are you aware that your market is changing?
- Do you believe that if you create your own personal brand you will rise further, faster at your company?
Questions are one of the most powerful ways to get ideas flowing and to help you understand the connections in trends. These questions should have made you think differently about conventional management practices that will begin to work less effectively in the future.
The workplace of the future
Create a culture that is positively intoxicating and draws unique talent to it. Then do everything possible to provide flexibility and freedom to your employees. Encourage your employees to build their personal brands. Make coming to work fun and enjoyable. Bring the human side to your company and I guarantee that you will see better performance if you do.