Office décor and design can have a big impact on your business because it affects employees’ morale, productivity and health. Therefore, office should be a place where all employees feel comfortable and want to come for work. With small and simple changes, you can make big differences in the design of your office and create a more personal, creative and innovative workspace. Below are some ideas to start with.
- Lighting is very important: Employees who are exposed to natural day light are generally happier and as a result, more productive. Natural lighting is also associated with healthy sleep schedules so employees show up work on time. In addition, try to use softer lighting inside the office rather than fluorescent lighting.
- Put Plants and Decoration Around: Having plants around the office will help reduce stress, lower blood pressure, noise level and humidity plus increase positive feelings. Plants also remove mold and bacteria in the air, keeping employees healthier. Moreover, studies proved that plants around the office boost employees’ productivity levels.
- Use Warm Colors: Colors have a psychological effect on people. For example; yellow is a bright color that nurtures creativity, blue is the color of calmness and wisdom, green is the color of earth and money, orange is a soothing and warm color, red is the color of love and romance, white represents purity, innocence and neutrality, purple is an exotic color which represents nobility and wealth. You can expand this list with more colors. Therefore, you can choose any color according to what energy you want your office to have. I always prefer earth tones which are calming and warm.
- Common Areas: Common areas like kitchen, meeting rooms and relaxation rooms are needed for employees. Remember that people are spending at least 8 hours of their day in the office so it is nice to have areas for people to get together and have some break. It is also important that people have their own private desks to focus on their work and to have a sense of belonging that they are part of a community.
- Have Comfortable Furniture: Furniture is a very important part of office design. Employees should have ergonomic chairs in which they can sit upright and tight. Also, they should have large desks with different sections such as drawers or shelves allowing them for easier organization. Having bad furniture in the office can decrease the productivity of employees.