Do you feel like your work never ends? Are you leaving the office late every day and/or working on weekends? Then, it seems that you need to improve your time-management skills. If you want to be more efficient at work, implement the below steps to your work-day.
1. Make a to-do list: When you come to the office every day, make yourself a to-do list and try to finish that entire list at the end of the day. Keep it small and realistic at the start. As your productivity grows, you will see that your list grows at the same time. Make sure you prioritize your tasks according to their importance. Cross off each item as you finish them. Do not forget to revise your list during the day as new tasks show up.
2. Start with the hardest tasks first: Start your day working on the hardest task first and then, work on easier tasks for the rest of the day. You can concentrate better in the morning since your mind will not be full of other things that show up during the day as you tackle your daily responsibilities. If you start with small tasks first, then harder tasks will seem more difficult to complete. However, if you finish the hardest tasks first, then you will already be in the mindset of working and finishing your to-do list.
3. Do not multi-task: If you are working on your emails at the same time when you are working on your task, then it will take you more time to complete both of them compared to working on them one-by-one. Studies show that multi-tasking doesn’t help us finish our work faster. It actually extends our work day and makes our work take longer.
4. Do not let others distract you: Focus all of your attention on the task that you are working on and do not let your coworkers or anything else distract you until you finish that task or until your break time. If you give all your energy only into the task that you are working on, you will see that it will take you less time to complete.
5. Get enough sleep and schedule breaks: If you didn’t get enough sleep and still feel tired from the previous day, then, you won’t be able to work as efficiently as you want. Therefore, try to sleep early and get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Also, set yourself breaks during the day to refresh your mind and stay away from your desk. This will help you stay more driven and in the end, you will finish your tasks faster.