We live in a digital era where almost every person has a social media account and uses it not only to share photos and videos with friends but to promote goods and services, or build expertise. That is why a quality and memorable self-presentation can become a key to your success and popularity. Creating a digital personal brand, however, can be a rather challenging task.
Especially if you don’t know where to start.
However, the good news is that we have broken this process into simple and clear stages. Just follow the guidelines outlined below and you will surely succeed.
What is a personal brand?
Let’s start with a definition. A digital brand is an image of a personality that has unique and valuable skills and experiences. It promotes your expertise, knowledge, and principles, and helps to stand out from other media personalities. A personal brand is needed to:
- raise awareness about a person;
- grow a loyal network;
- make a difference;
- build credibility; and
- find new opportunities for growth and development.
Consider a few tips for building a personal brand.
If you want to establish a solid social media presence, enhance your career, and promote business, follow the simple but effective tips below.
1. Google yourself.
Whether we want it to happen or not, Google remembers everything.
If you want to build a digital personal brand and show expertise, embarrassing photos and posts on Instagram, Facebook, or other platforms may impact your reputation.
That’s why the first step is to clean your profiles. Then Google yourself once again and check if that’s what you want people to see.
Don’t take this advice lightly. Most employers and customers Google individuals and companies to decide whether to contact them or not.
2. Know your goals and target audience.
When your Google image is appealing, take your time to set clear goals. You want to land a job, boost sales, promote a new business, become a recognized educator, and so on.
Divide these goals into short- and long-term ones, as it will be easier for you to take one step at a time and measure progress.
It’s also important to understand who your target audience is; their age, gender, location, hobbies, and so on. Knowledge of psychology, behavioral, and other social sciences will be a big advantage when creating targeted digital content.
3. Optimize your website and social media.
Whether or not you have a blog or use Instagram reels and Facebook posts, it’s important to put all of the mediums in order.
Some of the best ways to optimize your digital personal brand resources include the following.
- Use website templates to create a professional site…without hiring anyone.
- Upload a good-looking profile photo and cover image that fits your goal and style the most.
- Try to avoid ten-year-old photos, even if you look good in them.
- Keep descriptions and personal information updated and relevant.
- Be sure to insert keywords that help users discover your website or account.
- Add contact information and location.
- Indicate links to other profiles if you promote several platforms.
- Delete posts and pictures that look unprofessional, irrelevant, or harmful.
4. Create unique and engaging content.
Now, once you have clear goals and an improved social media presence, it’s the right time to work on creating top vlogs, posts, and stories. Here are a few steps to help you get started.
- Make a list of topics that interest your target audience.
- Test various types of content — images, texts, infographics, and so on — to see what people like.
- Create a posting calendar to stay organized.
- Work on your personal style to keep the content consistent.
- Every piece of content should be well-written, original, and bring value.
- Analyze comments and track reactions to see what should be improved.
Rather often, beginners struggle to find ideas and build their own voice.
If this refers to you as well, research videos, posts, and vlog content ideas that will boost your imagination.
5. Be ready to deal with mistakes.
The last but not the least tip that you will also find in any entrepreneur guide is to embrace failure.
Failure is an inevitable part of any growth and success, so trying to avoid it only takes time and energy. Moreover, the greatest minds say that it is impossible to achieve outstanding results without failing a few times. Thus, you see what can happen and take a few steps outside of your comfort zone.
The key is not only to survive the mistakes but to learn from them. Take some time to ponder on the failure and understand what should be done differently the next time.
Digital personal branding requires a great deal of dedication, time, and energy.
But on the other hand, it is extremely rewarding not depending on whether you want to become an influencer, educator, or promote your goods and services.
With the help of solid research, professional networking, and listening to the audience, you will surely establish a strong media presence and achieve any goal.