As new projects or careers begin, fear sometimes gets in the way. In particular, after making a big decision regarding a career will have many soon wondering if they made the right choice. Restless nights are the norm when trying to predict how it will all work out. The philosophy of one day at a time is the best way to handle the uncertainty.
Why the Fear?
As you face the dilemma, the best question to answer is, are you fearful because it doesn’t feel quite right, or because there is so much to be learned? Your answer will determine the motivation behind it all and the likelihood of you getting past the fear.
Further questions to be seriously considered are:
- Are you now concerned about the recent change being the right fit?
- Do you need help but don’t know where to turn?
- Is the learning curve too difficult or are you motivated each morning to continue learning?
If your answer to the first question is ‘yes,’ then give due consideration to finding a replacement. Otherwise, allowing the concern to consume you, will only serve to hold yourself back from experiencing progress. But first figure out wherein lies your concern. Once you recognize what is holding you back, then it will be easy to avoid the same found in new endeavors.
It all points to refining your list of personal values and priorities. Just as with a sale, match and qualify where you work, with whom you partner, and the projects to which you agree. Come as close to possible to your ideal situation at all times. The consistency in all you do is what will bring admiration for your personal brand.
The answer to the second question should be reckoned with quickly. Finding the right help will move you away from feeling stuck and onto an ideal footing. Do research for the better help. Check reviews and ask peers for their recommendations. Consider taking classes and possibly hiring a coach. Having a trusted adviser makes a huge difference for digging your heels in to do what’s needed and succeed.
The ideal is to have answered ‘yes’ to question three. You feel motivated every morning to continue on your journey of learning, and implementing the best of what you find. The most telling sign is when you excitedly share your news with your friends and colleagues. Enthusiasm is the best sign that you are on the right path.
- Question why you feel stopped in your tracks.
- Determine whether you need to leave a project or fix what isn’t right.
- Before exiting from a project, create a replacement.
- Solidify a plan for moving forward with the replacement.
- Create a defined program for fixing the issues.
- Notice if your sleep pattern improves.
- Check your motivation and enthusiasm levels.
- Share your news with peers.
- Begin the process of sharing and branding your work.
- Celebrate success!
Following these guidelines will lead you to the Smooth Sale!