- Defines your brand
- Defines your niche
- Gives you social proof of expertise
- Attracts new prospects
- Converts leads
- Sloughs off old, less profitable customers
For an easy guide to help you create good marketing content, see (http://www.personalbrandingblog.com/a-cup-of-coffee-to-your-007-story/). To learn how to leverage your content, see (http://www.personalbrandingblog.com/a-cup-of-coffee-to-leverage/).
So, what is the #1 way to get more people to share your content?
Write a great headline.
Your headline inspires people to hit the share/tweet/link button. If it isn’t compelling, they simply delete it.
“On the average, five times as many people read the headlines as read the body copy.” – David Ogilvy
“It follows that unless your headline sells your product, you have wasted 90 percent of your money…” – David Ogilvy
“If the headline is poor, the copy will not be read. And copy that is not read does not sell goods.” - John Caples
Here are some classic, proven Rosser Reeves headlines, followed by some newer headlines called out by HubSpot for blog posts eBooks. Fit your subject/topic into these and test them out–let us know if you experience more sharing activity as a result.
Proven Rosser Reeves headlines:
- The Secret of Making People Like You
- A Little Mistake That Cost a Farmer $3,000 a Year
- Five Familiar Skin Troubles–Which Do You Want to Overcome?
- Six Types of Investors–Which Group Are You In?
- The Biggest Problems You’ll Have With Most Plumbers…And How Mr. Burrows Overcomes Them All
- Protect yourself From Being Burned By IT Candidates Who Over-Represent Their Skill Level
- Check the Kind of Body You Want
- The 10 Habits That Keep People Poor And The 12 That Can Make You Rich
- The #1 Most Common Goof in Buying a House
- 5 Overlooked Deductions for Salaried Employees
- The Three Most Dangerous Words You Could Say To your Doctor During Diagnosis: “You’re the Expert.”
- What Nobody Ever Tells You About X
HubSpot’s blog post headline recommendations:
- 5 Things You MUST Know About [Insert Business Topic]
- A Guide to Understanding [Insert Business Topic]’s Recent Changes
- Best Practices for [Insert Business Topic]
- Learn How to Do More [Insert Business Topic] With Less
- 6 [Insert Business Topic] Secrets Revealed
- The Truth About [Insert Business Topic]
- 7 Instant Improvements for [Insert Business Topic]
- 101 Statistics About [Insert Business Topic]
- 9 Amazing [Insert Business Topic] Videos
- How to Be the Best [Insert Business Topic]
- An Insider’s Guide to [Insert Business Topic]
- What the Experts Won’t Tell You About [Insert Business Topic]
- 10 Unexpected Ways to Rock At [Insert Business Topic]
HubSpot’s eBook title recommendations:
- 10 Best Practices for [Insert Industry/Topic]
- Check List For Evaluating [Insert Product/Topic]
- An Introduction to [Insert Industry/Topic]
- 12 Common Questions About [Insert Industry/Topic] Answered
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Buying [Insert Product/Topic]
- 50 [Insert Industry/Topic] Statistics For Better Decision Making
- Learn From The Best: [Insert Number] [Insert Industry/Topic] Experts Share Insights
Wendy Brache builds and executes personal branding and online marketing strategy for executives and corporations in the high-tech sector. She is the author of Sales Force Branding: Differentiate from the Competition, and co-creator of the Sales Force Branding program. Wendy is a senior consultant specializing in B2B Corporate Social Media, Demand Generation and Marketing Automation, and is also a featured marketing technology speaker and columnist on renowned websites, such as Maria Shriver’s Women’s Conference, Chopra’s Intent.com and Denver’s GreatIdeasForKids.com