If you want to get a job in this economy you better lose the “depression mindset” and start using social media to open more doors for you. Despite all the garbage you hear on TV about job losses, some companies are hiring, but they won’t come looking for you. You must go find them.
In this post you will learn how to bypass the “virtual gatekeeper” (the company’s career page) and get the attention of the recruiter you need for the job you want by using Linkedin.
Here is what to do.
1. Create your Linkedin profile page. Dan Schawbel wrote a nice post on using Linkedin to promote your personal brand. Go read it for some tips on creating a good Linkedin profile.
2. Go to the Linkedin homepage and click the Advanced Link at the top right by the Search People box.
3. Type the company name in the Company Field, recruiter or human resources in the Title field and click search.
4. This will bring up a list of the registered Linkedin recruiters in that company.
5. Use your intuition and click the link of the recruiter that looks good for your desired position.
6. Send an invitation to connect with a short, compelling message that calls the recruiter to action. The message will go to the e-mail address entered when they registered on Linkedin. Here is an example of a compelling message that worked for me.
7. If you do not have the right recruiter, the person you contacted will usually point you in the right direction. If they do not offer this information, politely ask for it.
8. Be prepared when they call or e-mail you back so you can have an intelligent conversation and impress who you’re talking to. At the very least, you should know what the company does and how they make money.
Using this Linkedin tip will differentiate you from the competition. It will show your creativity and social media know-how. Most importantly, it will get you noticed by a person with influence and begin a discussion that starts the interviewing process.
If you’re wondering if this will work for you — it will. This exact process worked 5 out of 5 times for me.
What are you waiting for? Go connect on Linkedin and get the job you truly desire!