Here are some ideas of quick personal brand-building steps you can take right now.
Use this as a checklist to challenge yourself daily for the next few weeks.
- Create a Yodio, recording yourself telling a story about an image. Put it on your blog, or better yet, propose it as guest content to a brand-related blogger.
- Take a quick survey of passers-by on the street, introducing yourself as you go. Ask a question that tugs at their emotions while relating to your niche.
- Start an industry-related petition.
- Ask a question on LinkedIn Answers, WikiAnswers or another Q&A-type site.
- Answer a question on LinkedIn Answers, WikiAnswers or another Q&A-type site.
- Contact a small, industry blogger with feedback or an article topic suggestion.
- Call a local school, association, community center or company to offer a free lecture/workshop on your topic of expertise.
- Make a video of yourself answering a question and upload it to YouTube.
- Make a screencast showing step-by-step how to deal with a common problem in your industry, and upload that to YouTube.
- Call in with an answer OR a question to a relevant radio show, analog or web-based.
- Start a thread asking a question in a popular online forum, chatroom, Facebook group or mailing list.
- Update your avatar across your preferred social networks.
- Share an article with someone who really needs it.
- Post an insightful comment on a leading blog’s most recent article.
- Register your own domain name, and redirect it to your LinkedIn profile until you have your own website.
- Post an update on whichever social network you focus on most, such as Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn.
- Update your email/forum signature.
- Add applications to your LinkedIn profile to show off your achievements.
- Contact a famous person about interviewing them for your or someone else’s blog, podcast, tv show, etc.
- Start a public Twitter List of favorite impressive people in your field.
- Make sure your major online profiles are all using the same tagline and other branding information.
- Create a Facebook Page for your personal brand.
- Reach out to someone you’d like to meet by sending a note of appreciation and a question about a recent success of theirs.
- Ask some of your online followers/subscribers/friends if they have a question for you.
- Stumble and review an article on Stumbleupon, then leave a comment on the article saying you did so.