What makes a social media plan work, especially in the world of personal branding?
Huffington Post recently visited this topic and gave insight into some of The Best Publishers On Twitter And Facebook. The publishers mentioned demonstrate successful social media plans. I wanted to look at the different ways to promote your personal brand through social media using some of the tips and ideas from book publishers. However, the more important part of the post, they give insight into what works on social media. We all know that marketing a personal brand is cousin to marketing a corporation. – Some of the same ideas still apply.
So what has worked for you? What doesn’t? Where have you found success…or even failures?
Here’s some quick 10 Twitter and Facebook tips for anyone…not just publishers:
1. Provide Content as well Promote.
2. Ask Questions.
3. Share pictures,articles, and links.
4. Make good use of #hashtags. You can even create your own and potentially start a trend.
5. Give followers what they want. How? Ask them!
6. Respond to fans/followers consistently.
7. Be a source of news. It’s not all about you all the time. Share community news or other industry related information.
8. Update frequently. – Don’t become old news.
9. Have a sense of humor. You don’t have to always be business, business, business. It’s okay to be silly. 😉
10. Carve your niche, then own it.
Consistency and patience
If you are one to consistently be looking for new tips and tricks for social media, then take a step and identify what you’ve been doing and what you want to do. The key is consistency and patience. The Great Wall of China wasn’t built over night. If that metaphor doesn’t work then try this one: Don’t think of social media as another reality show. Your goal shouldn’t be for a shot at 15 minutes of fame. Instead, think long-term. To gain a loyal following you must be diligent with your plan and be constantly evaluating your efforts. Look at these 10 quick tips as reminders. Remind yourself of your goals and your accomplishments. It’s important to learn from others as well as yourself.